Monday, January 11, 2010

Reading

Read to a boy, make him happy for the moment, teach him to read and make him happy for a lifetime. Reading is one of the great pleasures in life. So many books too little time. My personal preference is for nonfiction, I would like to think I've learned something after every read. I find a good author and then proceed to read all their books, I think I've read all of John McPhee's books. If I bought all these books I would be broke, the library is a great resource. I go to the book store, research interesting titles, then check them out at the library. Most of the time the library either has the book or is in the process of getting it. Sometimes the waiting period is a couple months but I'm patient. About once a month I'll buy a book from my favorite book store and then donate it to the library when I'm finished.

Last week was another fun read. A friend recommended a book, I happen to see it at the library and checked it out. It sat by the bed unopened a couple nights. Finally feeling very sleepy one evening I opened the book up expecting to read a few pages before dozing off. Four hours later and into the wee hours of the morning I was fully engrossed. Eventually I went to bed only to wake up, grab the book and continue reading. I finished the book within 24 hours. It is like the whole process picks you up and places you in some kind of neverland until the read is completed. Try it sometime and remember, outside of a dog a book is man's best friend and of course inside of a dog it is too dark to read.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so strange sometimes. Inside a dog?

Your Honey