Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Bloise and Chambord

Tuesday we took a trip to the city of Blois, walked around town, viewed a huge chateau on a hill and had lunch in a city park. On the way back to Orleans we stopped and toured the royal Château de Chambord. We were able to walk through much of the building and it is huge. There are 12 enormous rooms off of a central circular double stairway. Why anyone would want to live in such a place is beyond me. The stairway is such that two different groups could be ascending or descending and they wouldn't have to pass each other. The grounds are ringed by a stone wall that is 32 kilometers long. We had two tour guides Cathrine and Renee who are friends of our traveling partners Joan and John. Dinner was prepared by Cathrine and this is the first time I have tasted foie gras. I can't say I am crazy about it but the wine was wonderful. I've learned that here in France different wines are served with different dishes beginning with white wine. Having dinner in the home of a french citizen is somewhat unique and quite enjoyable. I'm sure the evening will be one of the more memorable moments.

No comments: